Schedule: 10.04.2018 - 17.05.2018
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Period V 2018-2019, Otaniemi campus
Period V 2019-2020, Otaniemi campus
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course provides the students with an up-to-date understanding of theories and practices of M&A that will help them to understand the nature of M&As and plan and implement post-merger integration successfully. Upon completing the course, the students should be able to:
1. Understand the challenges that organizational members involved in mergers and acquisitions are confronted with;
2. Analyze the M&A process with its challenges and dilemmas from different theoretical angles;
3. Learn to develop an integration plan for M&As that would allow maximizing strategic synergies, while minimizing cultural challenges and risks;
4. Be able to assess and manage the complex dynamics in unfolding M&A integration.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course offers a theoretically grounded and practically relevant overview of the key themes in Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) and specifically in post-merger integration (PMI). Building upon a theoretical understanding of organizational changes and M&A-specific concepts and frameworks, the course concentrates on the various problems and challenges in M&A and PMI. These include strategic integration and synergies, cultural challenges, identity-building, cognitive and emotional dynamics of inter-firm collaboration, politics, communication and learning.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Contact teaching 30h
Independent work 130h
Total 160h (6 ECTS)
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
A reading package consisting of academic and popular articles.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Completing basic courses on strategic management before this advanced level course (such as TU-91.1011 or 21C00100 or 21E00030) is recommended.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course is restricted to 50 students (including quotas for students from the Open University and Joo-studies).
1. MIB/Strategy/Global Management/CS/IDBM,
2. MIB minor students,
3. CEMS students,
4. Other BIZ and exchange students,
5. Other Aalto students.