Schedule: 02.01.2018 - 14.02.2018
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
III (first lecture very early January!)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
1) can recognise mechatronic machines and analyse the fundamental functions of mechatronic machines: sensing, actuation, and control (should be already achieved and pre-exam is to check it).
2) can analyse the prevailing physics in common mechatronic machines including rigid-body mechanical systems, basic electrical systems, power transmission, and control.
3) can design and realise control systems for mechatronic machines.
4) can work in a team carrying out design and numerical simulations of a mechatronic machine.
5) can evaluate scientific publications on a selected mechatronic system
6) can report and present functionalities of the selected mechatronic machine.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Week) Lecture and Exercise, Remarks
1) Introduction to the course and background of mechatronics, mechatronic machine design process, learning / re-cap of Matlab
2) Laplace transform, transfer function, impulse and step responses, basics dynamic models, preliminary exam deadline
3) Operational amplifier circuits, AD & DA conversion, Bode diagram, the release of project work
4) Common control topologies, PID controller, control applications, laboratory exercise 1
5) Mechatronic machine design with a case example, Visiting lecturer, laboratory exercise 2
6) Summary of the course, students’ reflections: what we learnt, mutual feedback, project work deadline
7) Project work wrap up /gala
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Preliminary exam: pass/fail
1) Grade from lecture quiz: weight 20 %
2) Grade from exercises including lab exercises: weight 50 %
3) Grade from project work: weight 30 %
To pass the course: a) pass the preliminary exam, and b) collect min 50 % of the points in 1, 2, and 3.
The final grade is the sum of the points collected in 1, 2, and 3 (the points are scaled according to the weights given above)
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning activity: Workload calculation (hours), Remarks
- Lectures: 6x2, First/second lecture has the preliminary exam
- Directed computer exercises: 5x1,5, Matlab exercises, contact teaching
- Lab. exercises: 1-2x3, Practical exercises, one lab. ex. in minimum
- Home assignments: 5x10, Based on contact teaching exercises
- Group work (project work…): 30, 1-2 person/group
- Learning portfolio (learning diary..): 6x0,5, Quiz after lectures
- Preliminary exam: 10, Test on the prepared material ~20 pages
- Wrap up (project gala): 3
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Material prepared for the preliminary exam, lecture notes, scientific articles. Supporting book: Mechatronics in action: case studies in mechatronics: applications and education” by David Bradley, David W. Russell.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Kon-41.4151 Mechatronics Machine System Design, 4 (cr)
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course has no prerequisites. A multidisciplinary background gives a solid foundation for the course. Strongly recommended courses are:
- KON-C2004 Mechatronics Basics 5 cr
- ELEC-C1230 Säätötekniikka 5 op
- CSE-A1141 Tietorakenteet ja algoritmit Y, 5 op
- ELEC-C1320 Robotics 5 cr
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration through WebOodi
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lecture presence is strongly recommended in order to be able to answer lecture quiz.