Schedule: 02.01.2018 - 15.02.2018
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
III (Spring 2017)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course the student:
- Knows the basics of manufacturing systems and process modelling using queuing theoretical, mathematical programming (optimization), and data modelling (linear regression, neural networks) approaches.
- Knows basic concepts of production planning and control and is familiar with the practical approaches and more theoretical analysis methods related to them.
- Is able to do basic modelling of manufacturing systems, especially in the context of production planning and control, using the am. methods with the following software: Microsoft Excel Solver and OPL/CPLEX (optimization) and Matlab (data modelling).
- Is able to do systematic experimentation with the am. models and interpret the results.
- Is able to participate in an industrial scale development project that utilizes the am. methods.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The following methods are studied: queuing networks, optimization, regression analysis, and neural networks. The application of the methods to production systems planning and control: Hierarchical production planning, cost functions, Little's law, scheduling, lot sizes and set-ups, capacity planning, aggregate planning, facility location. The basics of the methods and software are learned in guided tutorials (computer classes) and exercises (assignments).
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures, excercises, and examination.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures 20 h
Computer classes 8 h
Group assignments 60 h
Self study 45 h
Examination 3 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Factory physics: foundations of manufacturing management / Wallace J. Hopp, Mark L. Spearman.
Design and analysis of lean production systems / Ronald G. Askin, Jeffrey B. Goldberg.
Planning and scheduling in manufacturing and services / Michael L. Pinedo.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course can be sustituted by:
Kon-15.4198 Modelling Methods in Production Engineering and Kon-15.4199 Production Control in Machine Shops.
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
MEC-E1080 Production Engineering.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0-5. Grading is based on examination and excercise reports.
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Teacher: Esko Niemi