Schedule: 19.02.2018 - 29.03.2018
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
IV (spring term)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Upon completion, the student should be able to:
- Describe the most important physical and chemical water, wastewater, sludge, solid waste and waste gas treatment processes [knowledge]
- Explain the theoretical background of relevant physical and chemical treatment units [knowledge]
- Choose favorable treatment methods for specific water, waste and gases [knowledge/skill]
- Design and dimension the most common physical and chemical unit processes [skill]
- Do simple chemical analyses in the analytical water laboratory and write a report [skill]
- Have a mind-set for understanding the inter-linkages between water, energy and other resources [identity]
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course gives an introduction into the physical and chemical water, wastewater, sludge, solid waste and waste gas treatment processes. The course is useful for students interested in the operation and planning of municipal and industrial water, wastewater and waste treatment plants.
Main content: Process principles (types of reactors, mass balances, process kinetics) and treatment processes (screening, sedimentation, flotation, coagulation, mixing, flocculation, filtration, adsorption, ion-exchange, membrane processes, gas transfer, disinfection, oxidation, precipitation).
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures, weekly exercises, plant visit, laboratory project (group work), exams. Assessment of the course is based on the exercises, the laboratory assignment and the exams. Relative weights between the different components are given in the beginning of the course.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Lectures 30 h
- Exercise sessions & workshops 10 h
- Seminar 4 h
- Weekly exercises 25 h
- Reading materials 26 h
- Project assignment 16 h
- Preparing for the exams 20 h
- Exams 4 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course book: Water quality engineering: physical/chemical treatment processes; Mark Benjamin, Desmond Lawler ISBN 978-1-118.16965-0
Other study material is announced in the first lecture and in the course home page in MyCourses.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration through WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for the registration dates.
A limited number of students will be accepted to the course, with preference given to our own Master's Programme students. Other students may be selected based on Motivation Letter and/or other criteria.
The course may not be organized if fewer than 5 students register to the course.
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course is a parallel course to "WAT-E2180 Biological treatment of water and waste", which is highly recommended. Course components are valid until the next time the course is given or unless explicitly agreed otherwise with the teacher in charge.