Schedule: 30.10.2017 - 11.12.2017
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
II (autumn term)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the completion of the course the student
- is able to define the basic concept of sustainability and discuss on its linkage to other related concepts [knowledge]
- is able to discuss on the principles of different types of methods and measures that can be used to assess sustainability [knowledge]
- is able to apply selected method(s) used in sustainability assessment [skill]
- recognizes the differences and limitations of different methods used in sustainability appraisal in different industrial sectors [knowledge]
- is able to describe how environmental engineering may affect sustainability in the society [identity]
- recognizes his/her own strengths and weaknesses in group working [identity]
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Introduction to sustainability principles, components & dimensions (global-regional-local); sustainability strategies and regulations; sustainability measures, including indicators, footprints, indices, eco-labels, certificates etc.
- Sustainability and related concepts
- Sustainability assessment methods (e.g. LCA, MFA, MCA, social impact assessment, CBA etc.) with focus on LCA and MFA related techniques; data needs of sustainability appraisal and LCA (databases, process data etc.)
Cases from industry, related to for example waste management, energy technology, chemical safety
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Scoring of group work, individual assignment(s), seminar and activity (contact teaching).
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Contact sessions 20-40 h, including lectures, tutored group work, seminar and potentially excursion. Indipendent studying, which includes performance of group and individual assignments. Totally 135 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course material will be announced in the beginning of the course.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Yhd-73.3510 Environmental Engineering
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course is assessed on scale 0/5 - 5/5 (0 = failed).
The grade is comprises the scores of the course assignments and final exam. The weighting of the separate tasks and the exam will be announced in the beginning of the course.
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration through WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for the registration dates.
A limited number of students will be accepted into the course, with preference given to our own WAT Master's degree students. Other students may be selected based on a Motivation Letter and/or other criteria.
The course may not be organized if fewer than 5 students enroll in the course.
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Responsible teacher: Jaana Sorvari, firstname.lastname@example.org. Course coordination: Meeri Karvinen, email@example.com.