Schedule: 01.01.2018 - 28.02.2018
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Online course. For more information please visit www.lito.fi.
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
During the course, the student will learn to understand the significance of an entrepreneurial team, and will form an understanding of entrepreneurship as a creative activity that happens in the form of business.
After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- define business-related principles, possibilities and challenges
- plan business initiating from customer needs, value creation, testing and agility
- interpret business-related substance areas where competence is needed
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The decision to become an entrepreneur
- Introduction to entrepreneurship
Creating viable business ideas
- Creating business opportunities
- Preliminary research
- Industry analysis
- Business plan
From an idea to an entrepreneurial firm
- Building a team
- Analyzing the start-up strengths and weaknesses from the funding perspective
- Ethical and legal issues in starting a firm
- Writing a business plan and constructing a story
- Attracting funding
Managing an entrepreneurial firm and creating growth
- Understanding VC-operations
- Challenges of growth and managing growth
- Growth strategies
- Operation forms
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Student performance will be evaluated on a scale from 1 to 5. The course consists of five modules and each module is linked to two chapters in the course book. Each module that the student completes contributes one grade point to the final grade. Hence, passing each of the five modules gives the grade five.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course assignments include:
- Familiarization with the course book
- Learning and reflection assignments
- Grouping exercises
The assignments are done on the online learning platform as both individual and group work.
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Barringer, B. & Ireland. D. (2012). Entrepreneurship: Successfully Launching New Ventures, 4th Edition. Prentice Hall. Later editions can also be used.
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Apply for courses or the minor: http://into.aalto.fi/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4854501
The latest information about the course is updated and published on the course platform at www.lito.fi.
LITO courses are organised in co-operation with multiple universities. To enable registering credits when the course is completed, it is necessary to transfer data about the student from his/her home university to the university that is responsible for organizing the course. The data to be transferred consists of: name, gender, nationality, e-mail address, personal identification number and the home university. Data that is classified as secret is not transferred. Without a data transfer it is not possible to have the course credits registered.
- Teacher: Christa Uusi-Rauva