Schedule: 29.10.2018 - 04.12.2018
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
Johanna Bragge (@aalto.fi)
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
II Autumn (2018-2019) Töölö & Otaniemi campus
II Autumn (2019-2020) Otaniemi campus
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the completion of this course, students can:
1. Apply the knowledge and skills they have accumulated during their studies for solving real-life problems
2. Understand the expectations of senior decision-makers and write executive reports to them
3. Collaborate with people with different backgrounds (students, customers, coaches)
4. Present and sell their ideas and solutions in compelling ways (requires understanding the basics of change management)
5. Learn to receive real feedback
6. Understand the nuances of the client organization's field of industry
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course is organized in collaboration with Accenture and selected organizations, and it is open to all Aalto Master’s students. Also Bachelor’s students can take the course given that they have sufficient background knowledge. All Aalto students can include the course in their studies as part of their elective courses. Business school students can include it either as an elective course or use the course to replace their MSc capstone course if they study in one of the following programs: Management & IB, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Business Law, ISM or Corporate Communications. The course is about solving a real problem in an organization. The work will be done in teams of 4-5, and it is not possible to complete the course as a distance learning project. Different teams will have different problems to solve.
1. Kick-off event
2. Lectures on key areas such as service design and presentation techniques and pitching.
3. Intensive 20-hour hackathon event
4. Coaching for the case
5. Final presentation
6. Writing executive-level reports
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Each student is graded on the 0-5 scale. Participation in the key events is obligatory to pass the course.
The grade is determined based on the project presentations and reports. Also peer-to-peer assessments will be used to ensure that each student’s contribution to the final deliverables is visible.
- Assignments (presentations and reports) 100%
- Exam 0%
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Contact teaching 45 hours
- Independent work 115 hours
Total 160h (6 ECTS)
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Delivered at lectures and events.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
57E00600 Hackathon Project
CEMS MIM students can replace this capstone with 42E05400 CEMS Business Project
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The exact number of students admitted will depend on the number of organizational clients joining the course. Altogether 100-150 students (including also other than Aalto students in case of special agreements).
Students are prioritized in the following order:
1. ISM MSc students
2. EIT Digital Data Science MSc students (http://www.aalto.fi/fi/studies/education/programme/data_science/)
3. Students from partner universities (in case of special agreements)
4. Other Aalto MSc students
5. MSc level exchange students
6. Aalto BSc students
Participation in the key events is obligatory to pass the course (see details in the syllabus).
Lectures and events in Fall 2018:
Mon 29.10.2018 at 13-16 Lecture 1 (Chydenia H-324)
Tue 30.10.2018 at 15-19 Kickoff (Dipoli)
Mon 5.11.2018 at 13-16 Lecture 2 (Chydenia H-324)
Tue 6.11.2018 at 13-16 Lecture 3 (A-301 SOK)
Tue-Wed 13.-14.11.2018 at 9-19 The 20-hour hackathon event (Dipoli)
Mon 26.11.2018 at 13-16 Feedback cliniques (5 different lecture halls in Töölö e.g.: A-306, A-308, A-309, E-127 and C-331)
Wed 28.11.2018 at 13-18 Final presentations (Dipoli)
Additional information for the course (applies in this implementation):
In addition to the course events above, the winning teams of each organization are invited to pitch at the Final of the Digitalism Challenge on December 13 at 16-19 o'clock (place: Accenture Innovation Hub, Aleksanterinkatu 46, Helsinki) .