Schedule: 30.10.2018 - 05.12.2018
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
professor Sampsa Hyysalo
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
● understand on how to embed collaborative and human centered design in real-life organizations at project and organizational scales.
● critically assess potentials and pitfalls of involving users in different design contexts, and plan projects so that the merits and downsides of different ways, combinations, intensities and resources for doing human centred and collaborative design are adequately addressed.
● Design for strategic user involvement in a concrete project
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Strategic codesign course (SCDc) course builds student’s capacity to succeed with codesign and human centred design projects conducted within the organizational realities. This includes:
- strategic user collaboration; handling user communities, designs by users, user complements to
products and services.
- Selecting of appropriate collaborative design methods; understanding and applying selection criteria in the abstract and in the real world projects
- Knowledge and skills to embed collaborative design successfully in different organizations
- Collaboration strategy; how to manage user partners, user knowledge and user research in
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures and seminar discussions, hands on assignments, essay, final presentation, final report
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Lectures, in-class demonstrations, in-class discussions and in-class work with tutoring: 70 h
- Student presentations, mini conference: 5 h
- Independent literature study: 50 h
- Work in project assignment in teams, preparing a presentation and a report: 91 h
- Personal reflection of contents and processes: 54 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Will be announced in the beginning of the course.
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
User Inspired Design course or equal knowledge. Equal knowledge refers either to minimum of 10 ects of prior studies in human centred design, co-design or a corresponding topics, or it can be demonstrated by passing a screening exam.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 - 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Max 55 students. Priority to Collaborative and Industrial Design students, USchool minor students, New Direction in Design Business minor students, and Collaborative and Industrial Design minor students.
The course can be included in doctoral studies (L)