Schedule: 30.10.2018 - 04.12.2018
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
II (Autumn 2018 and 2019)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the completion of the course students will
1) Understand the principles of sustainability in product and system design.
2) Be able to use sustainable design strategies, methods and tools.
3) Be able to assess the impacts of and argue for design solutions for sustainability.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course covers both the historical development as well as the contemporary methodologies of sustainable design.
Topics include design frameworks and assessment methods related to systems design, circular design, product-service system design and inclusive design. Each topic is approached via lectures, readings and group work assignments. The essay task is to produce a critique of given sustainability solution.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course contents consist of weekly lectures, readings and assignments. The work also includes collaborative work with small group exercises, and a final course essay. To pass, the students are required to attend the lectures (80%) and perform all the assigned exercises, readings and written tasks given each week.
Assessment methods and criteria:
• Group assignments, final and intermediary reports 50%
• Active presence at the course platforms, activity log 10%
• Peer evaluation in groups 10%
• Course essay 30%
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
• Lectures, and class-room exercises, 42 hours
• Group work, 40 hours
• Reading course literature, 40 hours
• Course essay, 20 hours
• Feedback and participation on course platforms outside of the classroom, 10 hours
• Personal reflection 10 hours
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
1. Ainger, C. M. (2014) Sustainable infrastructure : principles into practice
2. Ashby, M. (2013) Materials and the environment: eco-informed material choice
3. Vezzoli, C., C. Kohtala, and A. Srinivasan (2014) Product-Service System Design for Sustainability
4. Selected articles, other readings & web material
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course will replace MUO-E8005 and MUO-E8020 Sustainable Product and Service Design, Theory.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 - 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration via WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for registration dates.
This course is open for Aalto master students. Max. 50 students
This is a multidisciplinary course and follows Aalto ARTS policy* accordingly: If there is a selection process, the order of priority in selection is: CS major students ; CS minor students ; students, for whom the course is part of his/her major's or programme's alternative studies and has been scheduled in the student's PSP (HOPS) for the current academic year ; Department of Design students (taken in in the order of registration) ; exchange students for whom the course is a part of his/her officially approved learning agreement and scheduled to be taken during the current semester; all other students.
* The order of priority for admitting students to courses at Aalto ARTS 1.1.2018 onwards: https://into.aalto.fi/display/enmasterarts/Registering+for+courses
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):