Schedule: 13.09.2018 - 13.12.2018
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
Vesa Kanninen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jouni Ojala, email@example.com
Eva Purkarthofer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
I-II (autumn term)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- integrative and participatory land use and transportation system planning in the context of urban and regional strategic spatial planning,
- the use of scenarios and estimation techniques in developing strategic frames for urban and regional development, thus enabling coping with uncertainty,
- strategic assessment of short term decisions in urban and transportation infrastructure,
- the strategic use of normative and legislative planning tools and various incentives related to the land use and transportation system,
- measuring land use functions with their implications to transportation,
- planning urban logistics and the public transportation network
- the use of theoretical concepts and models in planning work.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
A planning case requiring the integration of land use and transportation system planning with a strategic perspective in municipal and further regional contexts:
- An analysis of existing urban structure and transportation network and related development trajectories, with the use of relevant data and data systems.
- The generation of alternative estimates and scenarios for long term development that inform the making of a visionary strategic frame.
- The making of an integrative strategic plan, in which short term decisions are justified by a policy based on the created longer term strategic frame.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Regular attendance is required. The study work consists of several compulsory planning and analysis assignments related to the planning case, involving both group and individual work.
Assessment is based on performance on the assignments.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning sessions (incl. lectures and meetings with instructors) 70 hours, group work and individual studying 200 hours.
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course literature and planning case -related documents and data.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Maa-20.3520 Shared Project A, Spatial Planning V OR Yhd-71.3270 Urban Transport Systems OR Yhd-71.3280 Shared Project C, Urban Engineering
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Students in the Master's Programme in Spatial Planning and Transportation Engineering are prioritized.
Details on the schedule (applies in this implementation):
Planning Studio takes place on Thurdays between September 13th and December 13th. A detailed course schedule can be found here.