Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years (1.8.2018-31.7.2020), which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After the course the student will be able to
- use the concepts of corporate governance in every day thinking
- understand the role of good governance in the corporate success
- understand the relationship between the company management, board of directors and shareholders and the reasons for the variety in corporate governance practices both within one country and between countries as well as the recent trend of convergence in corporate governance practices
- understand the importance of various institutions of corporate governance and the logic how they work and evaluate the quality of corporate governance practices
Schedule: 15.04.2020 - 29.05.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Jari Melgin
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Seppo Ikäheimo, Vikash Sinha
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
The course underlines the major problems of corporate governance with agency and principle problems and stewardship approaches and how institutions of corporate governance are solutions for these problems. The course aligns the theoretical thinking with empirical and practical solutions within the field of corporate governance. The course offers the diversity of solutions and helps to understand the country and company specific practices of corporate governance.
The major topics cover the big picture of corporate governance and the main institutions of corporate governance including board of directors, investor relations, auditing and internal control, executive compensation, shareholder activism and external corporate governance. After the course you will understand the importance of these institutions and the logic how they work.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
1. Weekly exercises that may include case analysis, learning diaries, etc, either individually or as a group work (50 %).
2. Term Paper (50 %)
- Classroom hours, 30 h
- Class preparation, 67 h
- Group work, 20 h
- Term paper preparation, 43 h
Material distributed by the lecturer.
Substitutes for Courses
"Yrityksen omistajat ja ylin johto" (32D300), Corporate Governance (32E12000)