Schedule: 15.04.2020 - 29.05.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prof. Seppo Ikäheimo
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
2018-2019:V (Spring 2019), Otaniemi campus
2019-2020: V (Spring 2020), Otaniemi campus
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course the student will be able to
- use the concepts of corporate governance in every day thinking
- understand the role of good governance in the corporate success
- understand the relationship between the company management, board of directors and shareholders and the reasons for the variety in corporate governance practices both within one country and between countries as well as the recent trend of convergence in corporate governance practices
- understand the importance of various institutions of corporate governance and the logic how they work and evaluate the quality of corporate governance practices
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course underlines the major problems of corporate governance with agency and principle problems and stewardship approaches and how institutions of corporate governance are solutions for these problems. The course aligns the theoretical thinking with empirical and practical solutions within the field of corporate governance. The course offers the diversity of solutions and helps to understand the country and company specific practices of corporate governance.
The major topics cover the big picture of corporate governance and the main institutions of corporate governance including board of directors, investor relations, auditing and internal control, executive compensation, shareholder activism and external corporate governance. After the course you will understand the importance of these institutions and the logic how they work.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
1. Diaries, lectures 28 h (Prof. Seppo Ikäheimo), and group work (60 %).
2. Exam (40 %).
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Classroom hours, 32 h
- Class preparation, 76 h
- Group work, 20 h
- Exam preparation, 28 h
- Exam, 4 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Material distributed by the lecturer.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
"Yrityksen omistajat ja ylin johto" (32D300), Corporate Governance (32E12000)
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Via WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for the registration dates.
- Teacher: Seppo Ikäheimo