Schedule: 14.04.2020 - 22.05.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Period V (2018-2019), Otaniemi campus
Period V (2019-2020), Otaniemi campus
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
(1) Develop an overview of the dynamics of the game industry, its historical origins and directions of global growth.
(2) Understand the links between creative and business sides of the gaming industry and develop the expertise how to develop successful business models to ensure a sustainable and profitable global operations.
(3) Acquire knowledge about game industry ecosystem and its functioning across the globe.
(4) Grasp the process of internationalization of businesses related to digital activities.
(5) Become sensible to key issues and challenges faced by organizations that develop creative content.
Students are encouraged to forge links between theory and practice through completion of the course assignments.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
During recent years the game industry has grown rapidly, and it has surpassed the film and music industries in terms of global revenue. Located at the intersection of technological innovation and artistic creativity, game industry is constantly renewing itself and pushing forward existing business models. What is more, with the proliferation of Internet and digital distribution, game industry is truly global and innovative, offering unlimited business opportunities for companies and entrepreneurs. This represents a very promising field for the future generation of business professionals and the course aims to equip students with sufficient knowledge and understanding about these opportunities.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
1. Workshops, case studies, and participation: 35%
2. Assignments: 45%
3. Final presentation: 20%
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures 24h, preparation for lectures 60h, assignments 76h Total 160h (6 ECTS)
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Readings announced by the facilitators
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Replaces course 26E05000 Game Industry: born global innovative and digital
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Max. 50 students taken to the course. Priority given:
1. MIB students
2. Everyone else Mandatory attendance on the first session as the teams will be formed then.
- Teacher: Irina Mihailova