Schedule: 07.01.2020 - 19.02.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
III Spring (2018-2019), Töölö campus
III Spring (2019-2020), Otaniemi campus
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Students will augment their understanding and knowledge of the emerging markets that help future managers/economists make better investment decisions in emerging markets.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Emerging economies will likely provide substantial growth opportunities for global investors. But the risks of investing in these economies are not only substantial but also different from those in developed economies. The objective of this introductory course on emerging markets is to provide students with a basic conceptual framework and practical knowledge regarding investments in emerging markets. The unit of analysis of the course ranges from countries to multinational and domestic companies in emerging markets. The course deals with macroeconomics, but also focuses on the unique political and institutional context in emerging and frontier markets. The course consists of four interrelated modules that affect growth and business opportunities in emerging markets.
• First module helps to understand the process of economic growth and development, and in so doing develop the ability to analyze an emerging market at the level of the country.
• Second module concerns institutional context of investment decisions in emerging markets.
• In third module, we will examine companies working in emerging markets and how they must manage investment risks as well as develop strategies to overcome the institutional weaknesses of the environment.
• Finally, in fourth module, we will have four round tables where students will be asked to take the perspective of different decision-makers, such as politicians, investors, and managers.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Individual mini-essay 15%
Presentation of mini-essay at round-table 10%
Term paper 25%
Participation in four round-tables 10%.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Home assignments (round-tables) 30h
Term paper 50h
Preparing for lectures 20h
Revision/self study 19h
Preparation for exam 15h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Articles, book chapters, etc. as specified by the instructor.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course is only for students who have completed their Bachelor's Degree.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 - 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for course and exam via WebOodi.
- Teacher: Svetlana Ledyaeva