Tidtabel: 16.01.2020 - 23.04.2020
Ansvarslärare (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Undervisningsperiod (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
III-V (1st year)
Lärandemål (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course the student
1. understands the chemistry and technology of existing and novel fractionation processes and based on this knowledge can describe in detail the principles of a forest biorefinery
2. has practiced the most essential experimental and analytical methods in the area of biomass refinening and is also familiar with some less conventional practical laboratory methods.
3. based on the practical experience, can make justified predictions about chemical reactions taking place during biomass refining processes in different conditions.
4. is able to describe the principles of the advanced analytical methods for structural characterization of lignocellulosic constituents.
5. is familiar with principles of project planning and has team-working experience; has practiced giving and receiving positive and constructive feedback
6. is able to present a clear research project report both especially in written form but has also practiced giving oral presentations
Innehåll (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This is a parallel course with CHEM-E1150, Biomass Pretreatment and Fractionation – in Class. The idea behind this approach is that the students will be able to apply the theory learned during the lectures directly to practice in the laboratory.
Based on the given options, student teams choose a biomass type and plan a fractionation scheme for it, aiming for producing a fibre product as well as products from the side streams (hemicellulose, lignin, or extractives). Subsequently, the team carries out the planned process in the laboratory. The laboratory work will include characterizing the biomass raw material with the appropriate methods (e.g. carbohydrate analysis, Klason and acid soluble lignin), as well as testing the intermediate and final product properties (e.g. pulp kappa number, intrinsic viscosity, and brightness). The student teams compose a final report of their project, describing the procedure and also presenting a mass balance of the whole process and the individual steps. In addition, they have to describe how the process, which they designed and executed, would be carried out in industrial scale.
In addition to the practical laboratory work, instructing lectures and workshops are organized. Moreover, the teams will present their work orally and present observations about each other’s work during different stages of the project. The teams and its members will give and receive feedback of their performance both as a team and individually. The practical laboratory work is instructed mostly by Ph.D. students.
Metoder, arbetssätt och bedömningsgrunder (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Evaluation of the written project plan and reports. Peer and self-assessment will have an impact on the final course grade. The practical details of the assessment to be discussed with the students in class.
Arbetsmängd (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
135 h in total; Lectures & workshops 20 h, Project work 115 h (including ca. 60 h practical laboratory work and ca. 55 h report writing and other tasks)
Studiematerial (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
To be announced in class.
Kursens webbplats (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Förkunskaper (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Laboratory safety course CHEM-A1010 or CHEM-E0140 (or alternatively, laboratory safety as part of courses CHEM-A1000 or CHEM-E0100 taught before Academic Year 2017-2018) must have been passed before performing any laboratory works in this course.
Bedömningsskala (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Anmälning (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Tilläggsinformation (är i kraft 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Students chosen to this course are primarily major students (Biomass Refining). If more than 20 students enroll to this course, the number of course participants can be limited. All major students are, however, chosen to the course if enrolled in time.
- Lärare: Kyösti Ruuttunen