Schedule: 08.01.2020 - 25.05.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course the student
- has improved knowledge on the best practices of developing products and managing innovations in modern global companies.
- is able to apply these practices to the fibre and polymer technology related industries in the development of new products.
- recognises the chain of events that takes place between assessing an un-met consumer need and delivering a finished product.
- realises the critical success factors and have an appreciation for the realities of product development in the fibre and polymer technology related industry.
- is able to apply statistical product design.
- is able to professionally manage a simple product development project.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Product development principles and drivers. Modern Innovation management: project management, market vs. technology driven approaches, the product lifecycle, R&D organizations, global R&D networks and operations, IPR management, metrics of success. Product development tools: end-user preferences and sensory engineering, statistical product design, principles of scale-up, virtual product design. Fibre product development in practice: best practice examples from fibre products industry. Laboratory exercise; practice product development: understand consumer needs, form and manage a project, apply statistical product design principles, assess success, report results.
The course aims to give the students an overview of the best management and engineering practices useful for developing new fibre based products.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Project work and exercises
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
5 cr = 135 h
Lectures/workshops 26 h
Labs/group work 69 h
Other independent studying 20 h
Exam preparation 20 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
To be announced later
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Puu-0.3200 Fibre Product Development Practices (3 cr)
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Teacher: Jouni Paltakari