Schedule: 10.09.2019 - 20.03.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
Prof. Jouni Paltakari
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course the student
- Is able to manage in engineering work situation where you need to find a proper solution for a problem in a limited time.
- Can utilise core and advanced knowledge in designing a product.
- Is able to utilise information search tools and other methods.
- Is able to use skills in critical/creative thinking and problem solving.
- Has deeper understanding on the role of professional ethics and responsibility.
- Has improved the skills in time and resource management, and in team working
- Is able to act in basic leadership and project management situations.
- Has improved his skills in written communication, visualization, oral and graphical presentation.
- Is able to assess and evaluate on personal, team and peer level and can utilize different feedback styles.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course uses Problem-Based-Learning, which is supported by theme lectures. The students will be working in teams with real cases and design tasks based on a brief from a company or a research spin-off from academia. The outcome is a new solution or a prototype of a fibre based product. Project work includes several stages such as research, insight, ideation and concept creation. The course targets at teaching a systematic and innovative solution creation for a real customer in a limited time and resources. Workshops on graphical design, contextual design and computer aided design will provide useful tools for the teams during their development work. The progress of each team is controlled by check-point meetings, learning diary and intermediate evaluations. The final outcomes are a concept and prototypes that will be presented and evaluated in the end of the course.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Tutoring/Mentoring and reflection
Final design report
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
10 cr = 260 h
Lectures 5-10 h
Seminars 10 h
Project work 200 h
Self-study 40-45 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
To be announced later
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Puu-0.4320 Fibre Product Development - Project Course (12 cr)
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
CHEM-E2160 Product Development Practices, 5 cr
Laboratory safety course CHEM-A1010 or CHEM-E0140 (or alternatively, laboratory safety as part of courses CHEM-A1000 or CHEM-E0100 taught before Academic Year 2017-2018) must have been passed before performing any laboratory works in this course.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Fail, 1 – 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Details on the schedule (applies in this implementation):
Course kick-off will be on Tuesday September 10th.
The topic pitching by the clients will be on Tuesday Sept 17th.
Teams will mostly have their own specific schedule and milestones agreed within the team.
- Teacher: Jouni Paltakari