Schedule: 26.02.2020 - 13.05.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prof. Päivi Laaksonen
Other teachers: Uni. Teacher Kirsi Yliniemi
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course students can
- find correlation between functional natural and synthetic materials on molecular and macroscopic level.
- identify some critical phenomena/structures in natural materials and evaluate their performance and suitability in technological environment.
- apply innovative thinking in materials and products design based on deep understanding of materials structure.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course will focus on the basic question of biomimetics: "How to develop better technological solutions by getting inspiration from Nature?" The topics of the course are the following:
- Definition of biomimetics
- Material properties, systems and environments
- Material charts for material selection
- Functionalities obtained by biomimetic solutions, especially at nanoscale
The course contains also a project work in which biomimetic solutions are investigated in material design.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course is graded based on individual and group tasks.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Flipped Classroom method is utilized in this course, resulting in the following workload:
12 h contact sessions
56 h Project Work
63 h Individual study (preparation for & reflections of contact sessions, short reports)
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
M.F. Ashby, P.J. Ferreira, D.L. Schodek: Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies and Design - An Introduction for Engineers and Architects; A. von Gleich, Potential and trends in biomimetics, 2009 Springer, handouts and scientific articles.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Fail, 1 – 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):