Aikataulu: 10.09.2019 - 09.12.2019
Kurssin yhteystiedot (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
Antti Salovaara, email@example.com
Opetusperiodi (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Osaamistavoitteet (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
At the end of this course the student should:
• Understand key aspects of human perception and cognition, and how these impact on the design of Human-Computer Interfaces.
• Understand the importance of Human-Computer Interaction in the design of products and services
• Understand how and where usability and user interaction specialists fit into the software and product development lifecycle
• Be able to define and describe the key stages of a User Centered Design process
• Understand the key techniques used at each stage of the User Centered Design Process and have practical experience in their application through exercises.
• Be able to compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative evaluation techniques.
• Be able to propose and justify an appropriate evaluation technique to a given problem
• Have awareness of existing interaction paradigms, their advantages and disadvantages
• Have awareness of cutting edge interaction research and developments in user interaction paradigms, design and evaluation.
• Have awareness of practical issues in the application of Human-Computer Interaction in an industrial context.
Sisältö (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
As computational systems have moved to become pervasive parts of our lives, it becomes even more important to consider how they can be best designed to be useful and useable by people (or "users"). But what is a "user", how do we understand what they want, and how can we design user interfaces that are effective and efficient for them. This course covers the foundations of Human-Computer Interaction - the study of how computer systems can be designed to support the needs of the people who we intend to use them. The course provides an introduction to UI and UX design, focusing on the user-centered design process as a way of understanding user needs and requirements and testing designs. At a basic level we will cover Usability, User-centered design, prototyping, how this process fits into existing software product development, as well as looking to how the relationship between computers and humans is evolving, and how we might interact with computer systems in the future.
Tarkennukset kurssin sisältöön (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
The course consists of 10 lectures, 10 small weekly exercises, and an exam in the end of the course.
Toteutus, työmuodot ja arvosteluperusteet (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures, exercises, lab work, peer reviews and examination.
Tarkennetut arviointiperusteet ja -menetelmät ja tutustuminen arviointiin (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
Participation in the lectures is recommended but not obligatory.
The course grade will be determined 50% by weekly exercise points and 50% by the final exam.
The total maximum points from weekly exercises will be 20 points. They will be evaluated using a 3-point scale: 0 points (failed), 1 point or 2 points. A student needs to complete 7 or more exercises with 1 or 2 points in order to be able to take the exam. Exercises are carried out individually and will be returned via MyCourses or other digital services.
The exam will also have 20 points maximum.
Therefore the total maximum point count is 20+20 points. To pass the course, the students needs to gain 10/20 points at minimum.
Tarkennettu kuormittavuuslaskelma (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
5 study credits correspond to 5 * 27 hours = 135 hours of work.
In this course, this work accumulates as follows:
|Lectures||10 *||2 hours =||20 hours|
|Study materials before lectures||10 *||3 hours =||30 hours|
|Study materials after lectures||10 *||3 hours =||30 hours|
|Exercises||10 *||4 hours =||40 hours|
|Exam preparation||12 hours|
Oppimateriaali (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
To be announced in the course web pages.
Arvosteluasteikko (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0-5, may be graded with pass/fail
Ilmoittautuminen (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Enrollment in WebOodi.
Kurssin aikataulu (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
The course uses the following text book: David Benyon: Designing Interactive Systems (link to university library)
In addition, each lecture has its individual reading materials that will be provided separately through MyCourses.