Schedule: 09.09.2019 - 18.12.2019
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
I-II (Autumn), odd years
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After taking the course, the student can
- explain the basics of medical image enhancement, segmentation and registration methods,
- describe assumptions and needs behind medical applications (image analysis vs. medical image analysis),
- choose image analysis methods for solving specific medical image analysis problems,
- implement simple medical image analysis algorithms,
- validate image analysis methods, and
- read critically literature on the topic.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course gives basic knowledge about different techniques used in medical image analysis: image enhancement, feature detection, image segmentation, image registration, classification and validation. The focus is on getting an overview of various methods used widely in medical image analysis and giving tools to students for solving various image analysis problems in practise. Multiple examples of real life medical image analysis problems are presented. The course gives also understanding about validation of different methods, which is essential in medicine.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Exercise works are mandatory and contribute to grading. They need to be accepted before participating in the exam.
- Exam passed.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Contact teaching: 11–12 x 2 h lectures, 4 x 2 h exercise sessions
- Studying course material and solving exercise problems: 5 x 12 h
- Exercise works: 3 x 12 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The electronic book “Guide to Medical Image Analysis – Methods and Algorithms” by K. D. Toennies, publisher Springer, provides background material for the lectures. Extra teaching material will be provided to complement the material in the book.
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Replaces course Tfy-99.4291 Image Processing in Biomedical Engineering
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Basic knowledge of medical imaging methods.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 to 5
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Please participate the first lecture to catch the idea of the course.
Details on the schedule (applies in this implementation):