Schedule: 13.01.2020 - 27.04.2020
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After taking the course, the student is able to explain in writing and calculations:
- basic linear and non-linear ultrasound–matter interactions (acoustic radiation force, acoustic streaming, cavitation, shock waves)
- physics of biomedical ultrasonic applications, e.g., ultrasound imaging, quantitative ultrasonics, ultrasonic therapeutics
- physics of ultrasonic actuation of matter (e.g. drug, drug vehicle, gas bubble, cell, tissue, organs)
In addition, the student is able to read scientific literature on biomedical ultrasonic applications in linear and non-linear domain.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- linear ultrasonics
- non-linear ultrasonics (acoustic radiation force, acoustic streaming, cavitation, shock waves)
- ultrasound-induced thermal effects
Bridging the physics of ultrasound with biomedical research and clinical applications
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Methods: Lectures, independent and supervised exercises, literature survey, supervised lab work, presentation.
Assessement Methods and Criteria: To pass the course the student will need to obtain points from conducting exercises, giving a presentation related to the course project and completing the course project report. Taking the course will require working throughout the semester.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures: 24 h
Independent studying: 28 h
Solving exercises: independent work 5 x 2 h + exercise sessions 5 x 2 h
- Literature review: 15 h
- Supervised laboratory work: 8 h
- Data analysis: 10 h
- Preparing the presentation: 10 h
- Writing the report: 15 h
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lecture slides; scientific articles; Ultrasound in Medicine, 1st edition, eds. Duck et al.
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course NBE-E4000 and following skills are recommended: bachelor-level courses in physics and mathematics, basic knowledge of signal processing, basic skills in Matlab.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 to 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Up to 20 students are accepted to the course.
- Teacher: Heikki Nieminen