Schedule: 02.09.2019 - 15.05.2020
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
I-V (the course extends over the first year of studies)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course aims to offer all the information necessary for success in studies at Aalto University.
Upon completion of the course, you:
- Have acquired knowledge about the degree requirements, the minors studies and the services offered by the university
- Are able to make a target-oriented study plan
- Are familiar with Aalto University, the department of your major, and your academic advisor
- Have improved both your academic and intercultural skills to be able to work and collaborate in a multicultural and multidisciplinary learning environment
- Know the principles of good scientific practices at Aalto university
- Know what academic integrity is at Aalto University and how to adopt it
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course consists of lectures, active workshops, discussions, assignments, field visits and other activities – all designed to provide students with comprehensive insights that will help identify and strengthen the skills and knowledge needed to achieve and have a positive study experience at Aalto University.
The course consists of three parts:
1) Events on orientation week.
2) Academic skills.
3) Introduction to studies.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Active participation and assignments. Specific assessment criteria will be published in MyCourses before the beginning of the course.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course includes ‘part 1: Academic skills’ of the SCI-E1010 Introduction Course for Master’s students. If a student continues his/her studies at the master’s level at Aalto, he/she may then complete the ‘part 2: Career and Working Life Skills’ of the Introduction Course for
Master’s students. Both SCI-A1010 Introduction Course for Bachelor’s students, 2 cr and SCI-E1010 Introduction Course for Master’s students: part 1, Academic Skills cannot be included in the degree(s) at Aalto University.
- Teacher: Elsa Kivi-Koskinen