Schedule: 16.09.2019 - 16.10.2019
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
Course coordinator: Elina Lehikoinen (email@example.com)
- All matters that concern this course
SGT Programme coordinator: Matleena Muhonen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All matters that concern the whole SGT Programme, SGT studio course and student case studies.
SGT Programme professor: Olli Varis
- Academic leader of the course
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
I (autumn term)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course student is familiar with the main principles on global governance and environmental policies and can also recognize international actors and actions in the field of sustainable development.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course gives an introduction to the state of the world and development. The course highlights the environmental, social and economic aspects of sustainable development and explores the dilemma of development. The course has guest lecturers from different universities and organizations.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Visiting lectures and reflections diary.
Elaboration of the evaluation criteria and methods, and acquainting students with the evaluation (applies in this implementation):
- 80% attendance to the lectures and four blog entries are required.
- Compensatory assignments are possible, but must be agreed in advance with course coordinator. Meeting the deadlines = passing the course.
- Name list is circulated during each lecture. Student must make sure they mark it in each lecture they attend.
- The assignment blogs must be submitted on time. All blog entries must be submitted latest by 23rd of October 2019. Blog entries must include reference points to the lectures and lecture topics. Replying to some one else's blog does not count as a submission unless agreed so with course coordinator.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Reading and independent study 30h
Substitutes for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Yhd-12.3081 State of the World and Development
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration through WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for the registration dates.
The course may not be organized if fewer than 5 students register to the course.
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course is open for students from all study fields.
Course is part of the Sustainable Global Technologies Programme (www.sgt.aalto.fi)
Additional information for the course (applies in this implementation):
This course is compulsory for all Creative Sustainability Master's students
This course is prerequisite for the following courses:
- WAT-E2060 Sustainable Built Environment (5 cr, period II)
- WAT-E2070 Sustainable Global Technologies (SGT) Studio (10 cr, periods III-V)
- ARK-E2007 Interplay of Cultures, Studio (10 cr, periods III-V)
Course is also highly recommended for:
- 21E10000 - How to change the world: Innovating toward sustainability
- JOIN-E7005 - IDBM Industry Project (the developing country(PBL case)
Details on the schedule (applies in this implementation):
First lecture on Monday 16 September at 10:00 - 12:00