Schedule: 10.01.2016 - 22.05.2016
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
III-V (Spring), even years
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After taking the course, the student can
- Recognize the core operations in a medical device company
- Explain the basic regulatory requirements and constraints
- Describe design process
- Explain key development tools and methods like hazard analysis, requirements management, verification & validation
- Identify key success factors in the health tech industry.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Finnish Health Tech sector is booming! This course gives information and methods to understand key operations in a Health Tech company. These include development (SW & HW), regulatory approaches, IPR, marketing, supply chain, service, management, and finance. The course’s focus is on high-tech medical device innovations. The course is performed in two parts: The first part consists of theory in form of lectures. In the second, practical part, the students work in small teams; each team explores a selected Finnish or international company’s path from innovation to business. The teams prepare and conduct interviews of the company’s core person(s) or executive(s) and elaborate on the success factors. Outcomes are reported and presented.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching methods: Lectures, industry interview, project work in small groups.
Requirements, assessment methods and criteria: To pass the course, the student needs to participate actively to lectures and exercises and prepare and present an industry interview.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Contact teaching: ca. 12 x 2h lectures and mentored group works
- Exercise sessions: 6 h
- Preparing for exercises: 10 h
- Interviews (interviews and analysis): 30 h
- Report and presentation: 30 h
- Studying materials: 20 h.
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Selected chapters of "Biodesign: The Process of Innovating Medical Technologies"
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 to 5
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Participation is limited to ca. 15 to 20 students.
- Teacher: Jarmo Ruohonen