How to write articles? How do I plan my career? What kind of support is available to doctoral students?
In this course we will have a module "Introduction to Scientific Writing" held by the Language Centre, where you'll explore and practice some aspects of writing scientific texts. On top of that we'll discuss and hear expert views on doctoral studies, services available, career planning, financing etc.
This course is arranged twice a year, in periods II and IV - V. This workspace tells about the course in periods IV-V, more info on the autumn course is coming later.
Teacher in Charge: prof. Antti Räisänen
Course Coordinator: Marja Leppäharju, email@example.com
Course Assistant: Antti Ojapelto, firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Scientific Writing instructors:
Ken Pennington, email@example.com
Jan-Mikael Rybicki, firstname.lastname@example.org
Various visiting lecturers
In order to pass the course, you need to meet these requirements:
Active Participation in:
- Seminar 1 (Thu April 7th, 2016, at 9.15 am, compulsory, can't be missed)
- Seminars 2...8, you can miss max 2 by doing homework
- Scientific Writing Feedback Session in small groups
1 Thu 7.4.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
2 Thu 14.4.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
3 Thu 21.4.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
4 Thu 28.4.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
5 Tue 3.5.2016 at 10.15 - 13.00
6 Thu 12.5.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
7 Thu 19.5.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
8 Thu 26.5.2016 at 9.15 - 12.00
Seminars are held in Iso Riihi, I 413 in Otakaari 5.
You can miss any
two of Seminars 2...8 by doing extra homework.
Please inform the course staff beforehand if you're going to miss a
seminar. Seminar 1 and the feedback session can't be missed.
- Preliminary Assignment, deadline Wednesday April 6, 2016 (see Assignments)
- Scientific Writing
- Reflection and Feedback
Admission and RegistrationThis
course is for doctoral students of Aalto University School of
Electrical Engineering. We are sorry we can't take any other kind of
students. Due to the nature of writing excercises we have limited the
number of participants to 30.
In order to apply to the course:
- Register by Wed 23.3.2016 in WebOodi.
- We will notify shortly after that, whether you were admitted to the course or not
- If you are eligible but didn't fit in, you are placed on a waiting list
- Please return your Preliminary Assignment in time and be present in time at the beginning of Seminar 1, do this also if you are on the waiting list and still want to attend the course
- Last minute cancellations and no-shows are replaced by people on the waiting list, who have returned their Preliminary Assignment and are present at the beginning of Seminar 1
- If you can't get in from the waiting list, please apply again later
doctoral students of ELEC that have started their doctoral studies
after August 1, 2015, since this course is compulsory for them
- Other doctoral students of ELEC, we prefer students who are at early stages in their doctoral studies.