Writing a good essay based on scientific material can be learned:
- Start by reading the material and making notes (in your own words) of the general ideas stated by the material. Also note specific information that might be of interest later.
- Plan the structure of your essay before writing it. Think about how you can combine the ideas presented in the material related to the topic of the essay into a coherent text that has a beginning, a middle and an end.
- Make a synthesis of the material and also include your own thoughts. Do not just summarise the material one after another.
- Write in your own words (referencing properly to cite the source of information).
See for example the following web site for more detailed information:
- Choose a style you like and follow it (no specific style required on this course)
- For more information: Neville, Colin. Complete Guide to Referencing and Avoiding Plagiarism (2nd Edition). Maidenhead, GBR: Open University Press, 2010. http://site.ebrary.com/lib/aalto/Doc?id=10404007