Course name: Wireless Systems
Course code: ELEC-E7120
Amount of ECTS: 5
- Dr. David González G. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Sassan Iraji (email@example.com)
- Senior Ph.D. student Hamidreza Shariatmadari (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Course content (highlights)
- Unit 1: Introduction (general view of wireless communications and systems, historical perspective, overview of modern technologies, industry and standardization, trends).
- Unit 2: Wireless channel modeling (frequency bands for radio communications, channel and propagation models).
- Unit 3: Elements of wireless transmission (multiple access and duplexing techniques, capacity, coverage, interference).
- Unit 4: Wireless wide area networks (technologies, components, functions, medium access control, planning, optimization, interference management, trends).
- Unit 5: Wireless personal/local area networks (technologies, components, functions, medium access control, planning, optimization, interference management, trends).
Intended Learning Outcomes
After the course, the student will be able to
- know why wireless communication systems are important; general overview of those systems: from very early versions until today,
- explain how to grasp and model the basic physical phenomena that are involved in wireless communication systems,
- understand the role and function of different building blocks in the wireless communication systems,
- describe, in particular, wide and local area networks, and their main components, and
- skill how to do some practical measurements and scientific research on wireless communication systems.
Course activities and timeline
The lecturing period has an extension of 6 weeks (from 12.09.2016 to 21.10.2016) and includes the following teaching elements:
- 12 Contact Sessions (CS): to cover the topics of the 5 course units (Mondays and Wednesdays from 14:15 to 16:00. Venue: Room U8/U270 in Otakkari 1).
- 6 weekly exercise sessions: to discuss the solution of 5 Homework (HW) activities and solve new problems (Fridays from 10:00 to 12:00. Venue: Room U8/U270 in Otakkari 1).
- 1 group assignment: to work during the whole duration of the course.