Grading (1-5) is based on points collected in assignments (max 100) and in the written exam (max 50). The maximum is 150. For passing the course, minimum 50 points must be collected in assignments and minimum 25 in the exam.
- Lectures: mandatory; max 4 absences. The course has no text book and the slide handouts may not be self-explanatory.
- Assignments: Two assignment sheets shall be released each week. Each sheet will have 1-4 exercises, each worth of some points. Students can choose which exercises to return. Answers can only be submitted via MyCourses.
- Pre-readings may be assigned before a lecture. These are optional but strongly recommend to make more out of the lecture.
- Exam will consist of 10 tasks, one task per page. The tasks include the following types: definition, essay, identification, analysis, and simple numerical exercises. Simple calculators are allowed to the exam; books, computers, or graphical calculators are not permitted. Materials for the exam will be announced in November in MyCourses. Examples of exam tasks will be given in the last lecture.
- Bonus points may be earned by carrying out a small research project (returned in mid-December; 10 points) and for being active in in-class activities. The research projects will be announced later in November.
Estimate based on previous year: 32 h lectures and exercise reviews + 66 h independent work on assignments + 12 h preparation for exam. Please note that workload varies depending on prior experience (see requirements). Moreover, assignments typically take relatively more time in the beginning of the course.
- Please come to the class room and find a seat before the lecture starts.
- Out of courtesy to the teachers and fellow students, please refrain from using computers or smartphones for unrelated purposes.
- In cases of plagiarism, we will follow the policy of Aalto University. While we recommend talking with other students and learning from the Internet, exercise solutions must be executed individually and by the student. The student must be ready to explain his/her solution when requested.
- A student who is inactive for two or more weeks may be removed from the course. Students who have already reached the 50 point minimum are exempted.
- Please observe the deadlines for returning the exercises. No extensions will be granted.
- When grading exercises and exams, we may punish for "fishing" points by equivocating in answers. If you do not know the answer, just say so.
- Monday: 8am in T6 (Vivek)
- Wednesday 12-13 in http://presemo.aalto.fi/uisupport/
- Timo Rutanen: email@example.com