How to write articles? How do I plan my career? What kind of support is available to doctoral students?
this course we will have a module "Introduction to Scientific Writing"
held by the Language Centre, where you'll explore and practice some
aspects of writing scientific texts. On top of that we'll discuss and
hear expert views on doctoral studies, services available, career
planning, financing etc.
Currently this course is arranged twice a year, in periods II and IV.
Teacher in Charge: prof. Antti Räisänen
Course Coordinator: Marja Leppäharju, email@example.com
Course Assistant: Antti Ojapelto, firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Scientific Writing instructors:
Ken Pennington, email@example.com
Jan-Mikael Rybicki, firstname.lastname@example.org
Various visiting lecturers
In order to pass the course, you need to meet these requirements:
Active Participation in:
- Seminar 1 (compulsory, can't be missed)
- Seminars 2...6, you can miss max 2 by doing homework
- Scientific Writing Feedback Session in small groups
You can miss any
two of Seminars 2...6 by doing extra homework.
Please inform the course staff beforehand if you're going to miss a
seminar. Seminar 1 and the feedback session can't be missed.
- Preliminary Assignment, deadline Monday, Feb 13th, 2017 (see Assignments)
- Weekly Reflection
- Scientific Writing
Admission and RegistrationThis
course is for doctoral students of Aalto University School of
Electrical Engineering. We are sorry we can't take any M.Sc. or B.Sc. students. Due to the nature of writing excercises we have limited the
number of participants to 25.
In order to apply to the course:
- Register in WebOodi and submit your Preliminary Assignment In MyCourses latest on Monday February 13, 2017
- We will notify shortly after that, whether you were admitted to the course or not, most probably everyone will be admitted
- If you are eligible but didn't fit in, you are placed on a waiting list
- Please be present in time at the beginning of Seminar 1
- Last minute cancellations and no-shows are replaced by people on the waiting list, who have returned their Preliminary Assignment and are present at the beginning of Seminar 1
doctoral students of ELEC that have started their doctoral studies
after August 1, 2015, since this course is compulsory for them
- Other doctoral students of ELEC, we prefer students who are at early stages in their doctoral studies.