How to write articles? How do I plan my career? What kind of support is available to doctoral students?
In this course we will have a module "Introduction to Scientific Writing" held by the Language Centre, where you'll explore and practice some aspects of writing scientific texts. On top of that we'll discuss and hear expert views on doctoral studies, services available, career planning, financing etc.
This course is arranged twice a year, in periods II and IV. This workspace tells about the course in period II, more info on the spring instance of the course is coming later.
Teacher in Charge: prof. Antti Räisänen
Course Coordinator: Marja Leppäharju, email@example.com
Course Assistant: Antti Ojapelto, firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Scientific Writing instructors:
Ken Pennington, email@example.com
Jan-Mikael Rybicki, firstname.lastname@example.org
Various visiting lecturers
In order to pass the course, you need to meet these requirements:
Active Participation in:
- Seminar 1 (Tue March 1st, 2016, at 9.15 am, compulsory, can't be missed)
- Seminars 2...8, you can miss max 2 by doing homework
- Scientific Writing Feedback Session in small groups
1 Tue 1.11.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
2 Tue 8.11.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
3 Tue 15.11.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
4 Tue 22.11.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
5 Tue 29.11.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
6 Fri 9.12.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
7 Tue 13.12.2016 at 9.15 - 13.00
Seminars are held in Iso Riihi, I 413 in Otakaari 5.
You can miss any
two of Seminars 2...8 by doing extra homework.
Please inform the course staff beforehand if you're going to miss a
seminar. Seminar 1 and the feedback session can't be missed.
- Preliminary Assignment, deadline Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 (see Assignments)
- Weekly Reflection
- Scientific Writing
Admission and RegistrationThis
course is for doctoral students of Aalto University School of
Electrical Engineering. We are sorry we can't take any M.Sc. or B.Sc. students. Due to the nature of writing excercises we have limited the
number of participants to 25.
In order to apply to the course:
- Register by Tue 25.10.2016 in WebOodi.
- We will notify shortly after that, whether you were admitted to the course or not, most probably everyone will be admitted
- If you are eligible but didn't fit in, you are placed on a waiting list
- Please return your Preliminary Assignment in time and be present in time at the beginning of Seminar 1
- Last minute cancellations and no-shows are replaced by people on the waiting list, who have returned their Preliminary Assignment and are present at the beginning of Seminar 1
doctoral students of ELEC that have started their doctoral studies
after August 1, 2015, since this course is compulsory for them
- Other doctoral students of ELEC, we prefer students who are at early stages in their doctoral studies.