Welcome to the Practice of Presenting Research -course. We will meet every day in Otaniemi (seminar room Deloitte (U119 Mo-Wed, U121a Thu-Fri), Otakaari 1. From these pages you will find the schedule and basic information about the course. Closer to the start of the course, we will also ask you to complete a short questionnaire to survey your needs and course expectations.
Before the course week you should do one pre-task: (1) prepare a one-minute video where you present yourself for others and (2) get to know the others by watching and replying to the videos. If you feel uncomfortable to show your own face, you may also use a drawing of yourself or a mask.
Monday 14.5. 9:15-17 Teemu Leinonen
- Introduction to the course and the assignments.
- Discussion on the pre-task.
- Working on an assignments for Wednesday and Friday.
Tuesday 15.5. 13:15-18 Signe-Anita Lindgrén
Please bring to class: 1) your laptop/smart devise if you have one, 2) a link to a conference in your field of study that you’d like to attend or like to have attended
- Academic speaking and writing principles
- Key oral and written language features
- Preparing for pitching a poster
Wednesday 16.5. 9:15-17 Teemu Leinonen
- Annika Linna & Minna Hölttä: Aalto communications
- Social media and academics.
- Publishing and exhibitions.
- Presenting in a conference.
- Working on an assignment for Friday.
Thursday 17.5. 13:15-20 Signe-Anita Lindgrén, U121a
- Topics from Tuesday cont.
- Mingling activity
- Pitching-a-poster practice
- Info about LC support for doctoral candidates
Friday 18.5. 9:15-17 Teemu Leinonen, U121a
- Preparing the posters.
- Poster presentations: 14 - 15, with professor Masood Masoodian, Visual Communication Design.
- Conference presentations.
- Feedback discussion.