This course introduces statistical and computational methods for analyzing various biomedical data in genetics and personalized medicine problems, including e.g. biomarker identification, survival analysis, genetic association analysis and drug response modeling.
The course is organized in a problem-based learning format (very similar to that of CS-E4860 - Special Course in Bioinformatics II). Lectures introduce you a collection of biomedical problems together with standard and state-of-the-art computational and statistical methods to address those problems and to make biological conclusions at the end. After the lectures, you will apply these computational techniques on real biomedical data in a selected project work.
Prerequisite knowledge for this course include basic bioinformatics and basic statistics/machine learning (e.g. CS-E5860 - Computational Genomics, CS-E5870 - High-Throughput Bioinformatics, NBE-E4030 - Experimental and Statistical Methods in Biological Sciences, CS-E3210 - Machine Learning: Basic Principles) or equivalent knowledge.
- Credits: 5 ECTS
- Teacher in charge: Harri Lähdesmäki
- Lecturers: Tomi Peltola, Juhi Somani, Olli-Pekka Rinta-Koski
To pass the course you need to complete the following (see Instructions page for more details):
- Learning diaries from the lectures
- Preliminary report of your project work
- Peer-review of two other reports
- Project work presentation
- Final report of your project work
- 23.02: Organization
- 02.03: Lecture 1: Survival analysis and event risk prediction from biomarkers, Tomi Peltola
- 09.03: Lecture 2: Introduction to microbial community analysis, Juhi Somani
- 16.03: Lecture 3: Machine learning in neonatal intensive care, Olli-Pekka Rinta-Koski
- 22.03: Project works released
- 26.03: Project topic selection deadline
- 26.03-15.05: Project work
- 04.05: Project work presentations at 12:15 in T3 in Computer Science building.
- 09.05: Preliminary project deadline
- 15.05: Peer-review deadline
- 18.05: Final project report
Project work meetings:
- The following times have been reserved for the project work meetings where you can ask questions from the teaching staff.
- Project 1: on Tuesdays (10.4., 24.4., 8.5., 15.5.) at 15.30-16.30 in room B337
- Project 2: on Tuesdays (10.04, 17.04, 24.04, 02.05) at 14.00-15.00 in room B322
- Project 3: please contact Olli-Pekka Rinta-Koski via email (olli-pekka dot rinta-koski at aalto dot fi)