Welcome to the home page of VCD Project Studies!
In MA studies, you are required to do 6 ECTS in Project Studies as part of compulsory studies. On top of that, it is possible to do a maximum of 12 ECTS as alternative studies.
On this page you can find information on
- how to get involved with projects organised by the VCD programme
- how to start your own Independent Project as part of your studies
- which projects are going on at the moment.
The VCD Programme organises Projects Studies in three categories:
1. VCD CollaborationsThese are projects initiated in collaboration with stakeholders outside VCD: These can be other units in Aalto University or companies and organisations outside Aalto, whether in private, public or NGO sector. Available projects are announced in the 1st study period.
2. VCD ProductionsThese are projects initiated by our own programme. These include for example our main events of the year produced in student teams: Visualising Knowledge Conference, VCD annual website and VCD temporary website. The majority of available projects are announced in the 1st study period. Available projects are announced in the 1st study period.
3. Independent projectsThese are projects initiated by you. You can plan, organise and produce your own project with the support of the academic staff, and earn credits for your independent learning.
Project Clinic: Producer Minna Ainoa is available for help on project management and production issues in Project Clinic on every Monday, 13–15 in classroom J101.
NOTE! All projects require a written project proposal approved by the academic staff before the start of the project. See the Independent Project page for more information.
For more information on these three types of projects, as well as a list of ongoing ones, refer to the subpages from the menu.
About Project Studies
The purpose of the Project Studies is learning by doing and collaborating. These studies are an opportunity to engage in projects in collaboration with various stakeholders within and outside Aalto University. You are free to develop your own practice in a self-initiated project with an instructor from the VCD academic staff.
In general, in Project Studies you learn to:
- implement your practical design skills and knowledge in real-life design projects
- gain experience in team work and co-creation
- plan, manage and schedule a design project
- present, negotiate and document your design choices and project outcomes
- report and assess your own learning