The theme lecture is available at the following web-page:
The following material is used in the hands-on exercise with the lecture. Please download the files to your computer (right-click - save as...).
landuse data: landuse.mat
food production data: dom_food_prod.xls
lecture 3 demo script: demo3.mlx
The hands-on handout: Hands-on_3_quick_reference.pdf
1. Discover global / regional / river basin food production and land use
- please develop your own research question
- produce one page (A4/A3) with following structure: a) title; b) research question and short introduction; c) TABLES and maps, graphs, etc of the results with captions d) interpretation of the results
- you can get help to possible problems by a) searching from internet: there are many people with similar problems; b) posting question to the discussion forum of the course (tool below the text; teachers and other students will be answering to those questions); c) coming to Thursday workshop, or d) asking your fellow students directly
- once you are happy with the end result, please submit the work (see below Submission)
This weeks illustration type: tables and histograms; include at least one each to the home assignment!
Example research questions:
- How the cropland and pasture areas have developed in relation to population?
- Has the planetary boundary of landuse crossed in your study area, if so, when?
- Is the food production adequate in your study area? If not, what kind of measure have been udnertaking to reach it.
Submission: please submit the assignment by using the submission icon below.
2. Mid-course feedback
We would highly appreciate your feedback on how things are going with the course and how we could improve it. Please use few minutes and fill the questionary at the end of the section. We would appreciate if you could fill it in by Fri 28th of April.
On Thursday we'll have a workshop at A046 in where you can get help on the home assignment and project work. At 9:15, we'll give a short lecture on how to make nice tables to your report.