This course is an introduction to urban water systems and no previous knowledge is required. The course introduces you to the water supply, wastewater and stormwater systems as well as to the importance, management and construction of the related infrastructure. The course includes both individual assignments and group work. Group work will be conducted as a project work, which will be presented in the seminar at the end of the course.
Upon completion of the course, you will have the following knowledge:
- Understand the role of water supply, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure as a part of critical infrastructure.
- Know the functions and basic technical components of the water supply, wastewater and stormwater systems.
- Understand the concept and functions of benchmarking and know some performance indicators of water supply and sanitation services.
- Know how to plan, construct and commission the physical structures of urban water systems.
- Know how to prepare a procurement document
- Understand the operation and maintenance of water, wastewater and stormwater systems
- Know the information technology applied to operation, control and management of the water supply and wastewater systems
- Understand the importance of water supply and sanitation infrastructure’s asset management
- Know the organisational and financial management and legal framework of the water supply and wastewater services
- Know how to plan the finance of a water utility
- Know the basic risk management and contingency planning measures of the water utility
- Know how to conduct a project
In addition, you should have the following skills upon completion of the course:
- Efficient and constructive group working
- Project management
- Informative and educational presenting
The lectures and exercises run from 31 October to 14 December on Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings. See the detailed schedule for times and contents. We (and most probably your group also) expect you to be able to participate in all the lectures as well as to conduct the homework in time.