Compulsory readings before the class:
- Chapter 3 Culture Fast and Slow
- Chapter 4 Status and Cool
- Chapter 5: Producers and Consumers
Student presentation paper:
- Arnould, Eric J. and Craig J Thompson (2005), “Consumer Culture Theory (CCT): Twenty Years of Research,” Journal of Consumer Research, 31 (March), 868-82.
- Belk, Russell W. Guliz Ger, and Soren Askegaard (2003), “The Fire of Desire: A Multisited Inquiry into Consumer Passion, ” Journal of Consumer Research, 30 (December), 326–51.
- Bradford, Tonya and John F. Sherry, Jr. (2015), “Domesticating Public Space Through Ritual: Tailgating as Vestaval,”Journal of Consumer Research, 42 (1), 130-51.
- Peñaloza, L. & Barnhart, M., 2011. Living U.S. Capitalism: The Normalization of Credit/Debt. Journal of Consumer Research, 38(4), pp.743–762.
- Holt, Douglas B. (2002), "Why Do Brands Cause Trouble? A Dialectical Theory of Consumer Culture and Branding," Journal of Consumer Research, 29 (June), 70-90.