Course home page
Elective course in Sustainable Metals Processing major.
Teaching Period III-IV (Spring 2019)
- Lectures 12 h
- Tutorials 24 h
- Project (home) work 37 h
- Independent (group) studies 62 h
- understand the structure of a thermochemical solver (Gibbs energy minimiser),
- handle equilibria in heterogeneous multi-component (non-ideal) systems
- do equilibrium simulations in multicomponent heterogeneous systems
- Thermodynamics of solution phases and their analytical forms in condensed systems,
- use and development of analytical descriptions for solution phases,
- applications of Gibbs energy minimisation techniques for the chemical simulations.
The lectures start Tue 8 January in lecture hall A302 at 8.15-10.00 and will be held every Tuesday.The project works start Wed 9 January in Chemistry building computer class. During the course three project works will be done in two-person teams.
- Tutorials and guided assessments in a computer class
- Project work in groups from selected topics
- Independent study and exam
Course textbook David R. Gaskell: Introduction to the thermodynamics of materials (2003) available in Aalto University library e-books in the Dawsonera collection.