Celestial mechanics from the terrestrial perspectiveDate: 22.1.2019, 14:15 - 16:00
Location: Lecture hall TU1, TUAS/Maarintie 8, Otaniemi campus
Teacher: Joni Tammi
Learning outcomes of the week
After this week, you should be able to:
- Describe the seasonal variation of the sunrise/set directions and explain its cause.
- Explain the nature and significance of the celestial poles, the Zodiac, and the ecliptic.
- Estimate the time and your latitude, and find the cardinal directions by observing the stars (including the Sun during the day).
- Appreciate the importance of minding the sun with constructions and give examples of using ingenious/terrible results from utilising/ignoring the sun's motion on the sky.
- Explain the concept behind and effects of daylight savings time.