In the course project, you will develop a sensor fusion algorithm for tracking an autonomous rover-type robot using smartphone sensors. The project will require you to perform the typical tasks required in successfully developing a sensor fusion system:
- Modeling the sensor and verifying the sensor model,
- calibrating unknown sensor parameters,
- derive a motion model for the robot,
- design experiments and gather experimental data,
- implement the final sensor fusion algorithm,
- write a technical report on your project.
During the project, you will also face several design choices that will affect the performance and complexity of your algorithms.
- The project starts on October 1, 2018 and ends on December 14, 2018
- The project is done in groups of two (2)
- Experimental work is done in our lab at Otakaari 3. The lab space has to be booked if you want to do experiments (see below). Additional times might be possible based on availability. Please be considerate to your peers and allow everyone to do their experiments (general rule: 1-2 sessions/week for each group).
The project is assessed through two written hand-ins:
- An intermediate report to be submitted through MyCourses no later than November 2, 2018, 24:00 EET
- A final report to be submitted through MyCourses no later than December 14, 2018, 24:00 EET
Additionally, you are required to peer-review one intermediate report and one final report. Review deadlines:
- Intermediate report: November 9, 2018, 24:00 EET
- Final report: December 21, 24:00 EET
The review will be fully transparent (i.e. the reviewer will know the identity of the author and vice-versa, but the review will not be public to the non-involved peers) and is done through a review system in MyCourses.
The final grade of the project (0-5) is a combination of the peer-reviews for both reports, a meta-review by the teaching staff, as well as a final review by the teaching staff. The evaluation criteria will be available on MyCourses at the start of the project.
- Book lab space: https://doodle.com/poll/hk958r829dbwfrp5 (Important: It will not be possible to do any experiments after December 11, 2018, you must have gathered all the data you need by then!)
- Vote for a Q&A session (only the session with the most votes will be held!): https://doodle.com/poll/unqhhdwti3mxi8rm