Joni Virta, joni.virta(at)aalto.fi
- Lectures on Wednesdays and Thursdays 12.9., 13.9., 19.9., 20.9., 26.9., 27.9., 3.10., 4.10., 28.11. and 29.11. at 16.15-18.00 (E/Y124, Otakaari 1).
Paavo Raittinen, paavo.raittinen(at)aalto.fi
- Group 1 on Wednesdays 10.10., 17.10., 31.10., 7.11. and 14.11. at 16.15-18.00 (U351, Otakaari 1)
- Group 2 on Thursdays 11.10., 18.10., 1.11., 8.11. and 15.11. at 16.15-18.00 (U344, Otakaari 1)
About the course:
- This course is an introduction to experimental and statistical methods in biological sciences.
- The goal is to learn the basics of common simple data analysis techniques and to use the methods in practice.
- Software R is used in the exercises of this course.
- The topics of the course include population and sample, descriptive statistics, visualization, statistical testing, ANOVA, dependence, linear regression and logistic regression.
How to pass the course:
- Attend the lectures and be active - not compulsory, no points, but highly recommended.
- Submit your homework assignments on time --- THIS IS COMPULSORY --- max 6 points. (Homework problems will be given under assignments.)
- Take the exam - max 24 points. (Note that if you have not submitted your homework assignments on time, you will automatically get 0 points from the exam.)
- Participate to the exercises - not compulsory, but highly recommended. Homework problems are reasonably easy to solve, if you have attended the exercise sessions, but can otherwise be quite challenging.
- Max total points = 24 + 6 = 30. You need at least 15 points to pass the course.
The course exam is held at 16.30-19.30 on 11.12.18. Note that the course registration automatically includes registration for the course examination.
Instructions regarding the exam:
- Allowed equipment: Writing equipment, an A4-sized note (hand-written, text only on one side, own name in the upper right corner, no need to return)
- The exercise points are valid in all exams during the academic year 2018-2019