The 5 cr course MUO-E8026 (USP-323) Designing for Urban Governance and Services provides an overview of the current and emerging uses and roles of
design in the public sector. It introduces core terminologies, theories,
methods and examples of design, planning and other creative
professional roles in the context of urban governance and public
services. The aim is to familiarise students with recent knowledge in
the design field and to develop their skills in applying design
approaches in the USP studios and in their profession.
The main topics in the course are:
- Introduction to present and future approaches, issues and trends in public governance and service provisioning, with focus on design and planning implications.
- Introduction to design theories, methods and approaches relevant in the public sector, including design for policy and governance, design for services, design for civil society and activism, and design for behaviour change.
- Examples of design
activities, cases and experts from the field.
- Critical analysis of the value, potential and challenges of design in the public sector.
- Series of lectures
- Reading circle done in groups
- Individual essay and final presentation
THE COURSE STARTS ON TUE 26 FEB 2019 AT 10:15 IN OTAKAARI 1, ROOM U405a.
(Note the changes to previous information.)
COURSE COOPERATION (DfG)
- Aalto course description and registration in Oodi
- Helsinki University course description and registration in Oodi
Teaching hours are Tuesdays between 9:15–15:30, with some part of the day reserved for independent and group work. The detailed program will be updated to MyCourses before the beginning of the course. The lectures are often shared with the DfG course.
NOTE: THIS IS A DRAFT SCHEDULE – THE WEEKLY SCHEDULE WILL VARIATE WITHIN THESE TIME SLOTS!
- 9:15–10:45 Lecture or other teaching session
- 11:00–12:00 Lecture or other teaching session
- 12:00–13:00 Lunch break
- 13:00–14:15 Time allocated for group work & independent reading and writing (or sometimes a teaching session)
- 14:30–15:30 Sharing session of the reading groups, facilitated by teachers
Location is Aalto University undergraduate centre, Otakaari 1, U-wing, 4th floor (see the floor plan in link):
- U406b > our own teaching sessions (also available for groupwork during the whole day)
- U405a > lectures that are shared with the DfG course
Antti Pirinen (responsible teacher)
DA, University Lecturer
Spatial and Service Design
Aalto ARTS, Dept. of Architecture
MA, Doctoral Candidate in Design
Aalto ARTS, Dept. of Design