Welcome to Transport Policy and Economics course!
The course belongs to the common courses in the Master's Program in Spatial Planning and Transportation Engineering.
The course contents include:
- Social and economic impacts of transport.
- Philosophies, institutions and goals of transport policy.
- Demand, costs, pricing and taxation of transport.
- Markets, regulation and tendering of transport services.
- Economic theories of transport/land use interaction.
- Assessment of investments and transport policies.
- Transport policy in Finland and EU.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- explain the importance of transport and the nature of transport markets
- evaluate the goal setting and means of transport policies
- analyze and assess the impacts of investments and policies
- evaluate the principles of pricing, regulation, taxation and tendering of transport services
- apply economic theories to explain the interaction between transport systems and land use (incl. housing and production)
- identify assumptions, philosophies and uncertainties behind transport policies and transport economic theories
Teaching sessions: Lectures Tue 10-13 & Wed 10-13, Exercises Mon 12-14
Location: Lectures Tue U406b & Wed U406a, main building, 4rd floor, addr. Otakaari 1
Exercises (Mon): M240, main building, M-wing, addr. Otakaari 1
Lecturer: Professor Tapio Luttinen, K335, email@example.com
Assistant (exercises): University Teacher Jouni Ojala, K309, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tentative course schedule
|Tue 30.10.||Lecture: Introduction|
|Wed 31.10.||Lecture: Foundations of Transport Policy I|
|Mon 05.11.||Exercise I|
|Tue 06.11.||Lecture: Foundations of Transport Policy II|
|Wed 07.11.||Lecture: Transport Demand|
|Mon 12.11.||Exercise II|
|Tue 13.11.||Lecture: Costs and Benefits of Transport|
|Wed 14.11.||Lecture: Assessment of Transport Investments|
|Mon 19.11.||Exercise III|
|Tue 20.11.||Lecture: Transport and Land Use|
|Wed 21.11.||Lecture: Pricing and Taxation of Transport Services|
|Mon 26.11.||Exercise IV|
|Tue 27.11.||Regulation of Transport Markets|
|Wed 28.11.||Presentation of Group Works, Lecture: Transport Policy|
|Mon 3.12.||Exercise V|
|Tue 11.12.||Course exam, at 10-13, no registration|