TU-E2040 Management of external resources (3-5 cr)
Note: This course
will replace or continue courses TU-22.1206, TU-22.1208 and TU-22.1330
The purpose of the course is to familiarize the students with opportunities, challenges, principles and tools of managing resources which are outside a firm's organizational boundaries for improved effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation. After passing the course the students knows
1) What is the significance and strategic role of external resources in contemporary organitions
2) How to design strategies for managing supply categories
3) The principles of total cost of ownership analysis and is able to utilize it in different situations
4) The systematic sourcing process and how to apply it in different situations
5) How to make decisions on the governance mode: make/do, buy or ally
6) How to manage interorganizational relationships
7) How to deal with the idioryncracies of public and service purchasing
The goal is to provide students both theoretical and conceptual tools to deeply understand the field, and the skills to solve the challenging problems in practice.
- Lectures, lecture slides and other published
material in MyCources (See section "Lecture program and course readings")
Empirical assignment (group activity, carried out in a firm)
Lecture assignments (all lectures)
Article review (group activity, oral presentation at lectures)
3 cr (Exam, lectures and lecture tasks, article review)
5 cr (Exam, lectures and lecture tasks, article review, empirical assignment)
5 cr course is for those who have Operations and Service Management as major, and for those who have this course as integrative course for another DIEM major, and for those who have external resource management focused minor. The maximum number of students for the 5 cr couse is 30. Students who want to take 5 cr couse should send an application to Kari Tanskanen, including confirmed HOPS.
Kari Tanskanen and Mervi Vuori.