Welcome to the 42E00500 CEMS Business Communication Skills seminar workspace.
This is a 1 ECT course (27hrs): 12hrs contact teaching; 15hrs independent work
- Pre-seminar preparation: readings and 2 assignments. Due midday, Friday, 4 October.
- Session 1: 12.00-16.30, Friday, 4 October (T003)
- Session 2: 13.30-17.00, Tuesday, 8 October (U135a)
- Session 3: 09.00 -12.30, Friday, 11 October (Meet at 08.40, reception, UPM HQ, Biofore Talo)
PRE-SEMINAR: Mandatory readings and 2 pre-seminar assignments (due midday, Friday, 4 October)
- Read Input 1: Strategic Contingency Model (SCM)
- Read Input 2: Reader-focused managerial writing
- Assignment 1: Analyse the Jackson’s DIY case and upload your analysis and strategy proposal to MyCourses by midday, Friday, 4 October.
- Assignment 2: Familiarise yourself with UPM (incl. code of conduct) and carry out a preliminary core stakeholder analysis. Upload your stakeholder analysis to MyCourses by midday, Friday, 4 October.
SESSION 1: 4.10 (12.00-16.30)
- Course overview: objectives, assignments, schedule
- Strategic Contingency Model
- Jackson's communication strategy: presentations and discussion
- Preparing and delivering Jackson’s case messages
- Introduction to UPM case: division into groups
Preparation for session 2
- Read Input 3: Communicating sensitive messages
- Read: ‘The 10 Commandments for Delivering Bad News’, Bies (2012); ‘The Secret of Communicating Bad News to Employees’, Ackley (1992); How Great Leaders Deliver Bad News, Anderson (2015)
- Read the UPM case an prepare your 10-minute recommendation presentation (A2)
SESSION 2: 8.10 (13.30-17.30)
- Managerial writing: style and tone
- Bad news messaging: writing and reviewing
- Impromptu presentations: focus on content organisation
- Preparing and delivering recommendation presentations
Preparation for session 3
- Read Input 4: Preparing a recommendation presentation
- Read input 5: Creating effective visuals
- Finalise your 10-minute UPM presentation
SESSION 3: 11.10 (09.00-12.30)
- Recommendation presentations at UPM Head Office
- Meet at reception 08.40, Biofore Talo, Alvar Aallon katu 1