As long as the present restrictions are in place, we will have our weekly F2F sessions (08.30-11.30, Tuesdays) using Microsoft Teams.
MSTeams tutorials: If you haven't used Microsoft Teams before, you might find these tutorials useful: video tutorials. Perhaps take a look before joining our first session.
SESSION 1: 8.9
- Course overview: objectives, assignments, division into teams for groupwork
- Communicating strategically
- Assignment 1 (A1): case analysis, presentations, discussion
- Analysis and discussion of student writing samples
Preparation for session 2
- Read: Input 1, Communicating strategically, and Input 2, Persuasive techniques
- Prepare written request (A1). Please have a copy of this ready to share in our online session.
- Prepare your presentation strategy outline (A2a). Please have a copy of this ready to share in our online session.
SESSION 2: 15.9
- Effective business writing
- Getting the right rhetorical mix: Ethos, Logos and Pathos
- Reviewing and editing your draft written requests (A1)
- Fine-tuning your persuasive presentation strategy (A2a)
- High impact introductions and conclusions
Preparation for session 3
- Prepare for the A3a QUIZ. Read Input 3, Reader-focused business writing, and Input 4, Impactful and engaging presentations
- Write final version of written request (A1). Submit by 08.30, 22.9.
- Finalise your persuasive presentation (A2). Be prepared to present on 26.09. Submit your strategy outline (A2a) to MyCourses by 08.30, 22.09
SESSION 3: 22.9
- A3a QUIZ to test knowledge of inputs 1-4
- 6-8 minute individual persuasive presentations with peer feedback
- Final team presentations (A4): choice of topic
Preparation for session 4
- Start writing A5: critical appraisal of A2 and A4 (due 20.10)
- Prepare for in-class case (A3b) next week
- Prepare final team presentation: plan strategy
SESSION 4: 29.9
- In-class written case (A3b / 20%)
- Essentials of effective slide design
- Preparation for next week's A4 team consultation sessions
Preparation for session 5
- Continue preparing final team presentation and upload materials to MyCourses by midday, the day before your consultation with Mike: preview slide / structure of presentation, draft visuals, 3+ questions
SESSION 5: 6.10 Consultation session with Mike
- Team presentation consultation with Mike (25 minutes/team).
Preparation for session 6
- Finalise team presentation
SESSION 6: 13.10
- Final team presentations
Submit your critical appraisal of BCS presentation performance (A5) by 08.30, 20.10