Welcome to the Business Negotiations P02 workspace!
Our first session will be on Wednesday, 22 April as scheduled.
However, as long as the present restrictions are in place, we will have
our 4 weekly F2F sessions - 08.30-12.30, Wednesdays, 22.4, 29.4, 6.5 & 13.5 - online using Microsoft Teams.
Teams tutorials: If you haven't used Microsoft Teams before, you might find these tutorials useful: video tutorials. Could you please take a look before joining our first session. Thanks.
As you will have seen from Oodi and the course description, there is a mandatory pre-work consisting of readings and 2 pre-course assignments,
which must be completed before our first session. You'll find details
in the pre-work folder in the drop-down menu on the left of the screen.
I'll be in touch with you before the course kick-off but, in the meantime, if you have any questions, do let me know (michael.baker(at)aalto.fi).
Please read the following 3 lecturer inputs and 1 article before coming to the first class. You'll find all of these in the Readings folder (3rd folder in the dropdown menu on the left-hand side of the workspace - click the menu icon, top left, if you can't see the folder menu).
- Input 1: Choosing an initial negotiation strategy
- Input 2: The principled approach to negotiation
- Input 3: ZOPA Zone Of Possible Agreement
- BATNA Basics:Boost your power at the bargaining table (PON Harvard Law School / Free report)
SESSION 1: 22 April
- Tips for online class interaction
- Course overview: objectives, assignments, schedule
- Negotiation strategies and tactics: negotiation loop exercise
- Introduction to the Mutual Gains Approach (MGA) / Principled Approach
- Negotiation simulation 1: implementing the MGA approach
Preparation for session 2
- Read Input 4: The MGA negotiation process
- Prepare theory presentation & handout (Assign 1). Due: 08.30, 29 April.
- Listen to ‘The Psychology of Negotiations’ (Assign 2). Due: 08.30, 29 April.
SESSION 2: 29 April
- Negotiation theory presentations Pt 1
- Preparing for a negotiation – a systematic approach
- Negotiation simulation 2: implementing the MGA approach
Preparation for session 3
- Read Input 5: Cultural dimensions of negotiations
- Read input 6: Questions as a negotiation tool
- Read input 7: Preparing to negotiate using MGA
- Read through the final team negotiation case and start to write position paper (A3)
SESSION 3: 6 May
- Negotiation theory presentations Pt 2
- Negotiation simulation 3: implementing the MGA approach
- Final team negotiation strategy planning meeting
Preparation for session 4
- Contact TOP via the discussion forum for your negotiation and
a) negotiate an agenda for your final negotiation, and
b) get any other essential information that you feel you need to prepare for the negotiation.
- Prepare your strategy for the final negotiation
- Finalise the position paper (A3). Upload by 08.30, 13 May.
SESSION 4: 13 May
- Final negotiations
- Debriefing with fellow team members
- Debriefing with TOP
- Comparing negotiation outcomes
Analyse the final negotiation (A4). Upload to MyCourses by 08.30, Wednesday, 20 May.