This course is an introduction to the basic concepts of programming – no previous skills are required. Part lectures, part exercises and then a larger individual assignment. We'll meet 9:15–12:00 four mornings every week, apart from week one which is shorter. The classroom is not always the same, so check individual dates below. Do note that we're mostly not in Väre but Otakaari 1.
- Week 1
- Sep 11: Kickoff, arrangements, basics of programming, setting up (A046a)
- Sep 12: Making graphics in Processing, variables (U257)
- Sep 13: Simple math, interaction with mouse, comments (U257)
- Week 2
- Sep 17: Flow control (U257)
- Sep 18: Arrays, using arrays with loops (U257)
- Sep 19: Functions, parameters and return values (U257)
- Sep 20: Recap, using images, exercises (R102 – Väre!)
- Week 3
- Sep 24: More types, dealing with text (U257)
- Sep 25: Basics of object-oriented programming (U257)
- Sep 26: Lists, using callbacks for input (U257)
- Sep 27: Recap of the course, assignment instructions & tutoring (U257)
This course is one of the three possible options for New Media Design and Production majors – Software Studies: Programming for Artists is another and covers the same basics, so do not sign up for both. Software Studies for Game Designers is largely focused on Unity, so you may consider taking that course later on.