Introduction and cosmic scales
Date: 7.1.2020, 14:15 - 15:45
Location: Lecture hall TU1, Maarintie 8, Otaniemi
Teacher: Joni Tammi
Learning outcomes of the week
After this week, you should be able to:
- Understand what the course is about, how it is organised, and what is required for passing the course.
- Understand what the learning diaries are and how to write them.
- Appreciate the astronomical and cosmic distances, and assess the role of humankind on a cosmic scale.
- Recognise some central concepts related to human perspective regarding out place in the universe (such as "the pale blue dot", or "the overview effect").
- Assess your own starting level, and that of the students in general.