Sancta Terra -projection of heaven on Earth
Date: 4.2.2020, 14:15 - 16:00
Location: Lecture hall TU1, TUAS/Maarintie 8, Otaniemi campus
Teacher: Anne Lähteenmäki, Joni Tammi
Learning outcomes of the week
After this week, you should be able to:
- Give examples on how ancient cultures exercised astronomy (continued from earlier weeks).
- Recognise the most significant astronomically aligned ancient buildings and constructions.
- Explain the principles of why and how many ancient temples and other constructions have been astronomically aligned, and, if necessary, yourself use the sun or the stars to align structures in the cardinal directions.
- Describe how celestial observations have been interpreted in the past in terms of, for example, politics, warfare, religion, astrology, and eventually, science and mathematics.
- Grasp the development of the
Hellenistic world view that led to the evolution of modern scientific
astronomy, and - curiously- imposed a dead end to the very same thing for
hundreds of years.