Remember that in order to participate in this course, you have to register in Oodi.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
Encompassing annually varying topics in molecular physics, biophysics, and molecular quantum mechanics, this course gives fundamental knowledge of biological molecules and physical and chemical insight into biological systems:
- structure of biomolecules (proteins, DNA)
- structure of the cell
- spectroscopy techniques (optical, NMR, X-ray and more)
- microscopy techniques (TEM, confocal, fluorescence)
- modeling techniques
- a list of topics: every student will have to prepare a presentation (15-30 minutes, depending on how many students enroll) and an essay on their topic (5 pages), according to specific guidelines, and the essays will be part of the study material;
- a few selected scientific articles, around which the students have to form groups and discuss the articles. The discussion will lead to a group presentation (15-30 minutes). The articles will also be part of the study material.
- a peer-review task: every student essay will be reviewed anonimously by two other students before the delivery deadline, so that it can be corrected before submission.
Lectures, presentation slides, student essays, and course books.
R. Cotterill, Biophysics: An Introduction, Chichester: Wiley, 2002.
(Aalto University has access to only 6 copies of the first book and 1 copy of the third book. Therefore, remember to logout after reading!)
Maximum total points: 100+
- Presentation: 25 points
- Essay: 25 points
- Group work: 15 points
- Peer-review: 5 points
- Exam: 25 points
- Early submission of essay: 5 points
Remember also that you can request special assignments for additional compensation points (10 max) and that attendance also counts (10 max)!
|80 - 89
|70 - 79
|60 - 69
|51 - 59
FURTHER INFORMATION: COURSE LECTURERS
Prof. Ilkka Tittonen
MSc Camilla Tossi
MSc Lassi Hällström
Asst. Prof. Caterina Soldano