Course name: Wireless Systems
Course number: ELEC-E7120
Number of ECTS: 5
- Dr. Mehmet Ilter (firstname.lastname (at) aalto.fi)
- Dr. Muhammad Sheikh, Postdoctorate Research Fellow (firstname.lastname (at) aalto.fi)
- Xiyu Wang, Doctorate Candidate (firstname.lastname (at) aalto.fi)
Course content (highlights)
- Unit 1: Introduction (General view of wireless communications systems, historical perspective, overview of modern technologies, industry and standardization, trends).
- Unit 2: Wireless channel characteristics and modeling (Frequency bands for radio communications, channel and propagation models).
- Unit 3: Overview of wireless transmission techniques (Multiple access and duplexing techniques, capacity, and interference).
- Unit 4: Wide area networks (Technologies, components, functions, medium access control, planning, optimization, interference management, trends).
- Unit 5: Personal/local area networks (Technologies, components, functions, medium access control, planning, optimization, interference management, trends).
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student will be able to
- Know why wireless communication systems are important; general overview of those systems: from very early versions until today,
- Explain how to grasp and model the basic physical phenomena that are involved in wireless communication systems,
- Understand the role and function of different building blocks in the wireless communication systems,
- Describe, in particular, wide and local area networks, and their main components, and
- Skill how to do some practical measurements and scientific research on wireless communication systems.
Course activities and timeline
The lecturing period has an extension of 6 weeks (from 09.09.2019 to 21.10.2019) and includes the following teaching elements:
- 12 lecture sessions: to cover the topics of the 5 course units (Starting on September 9th, 2019: Mondays between 10:15 - 12 and Wednesdays between 14:15 to 16:00). The location information for the lecture can be found in MyCourses.
- 6 weekly exercise sessions: to discuss the solutions of 5 Homework assignments (HW) and practice more in the class to understand units better (Fridays between 10:15 - 12:00. U9 / U271, Otakaari 1).
- 4 in-class quizzes: Every Monday starting on 23.9
- 4 pre-lecture assignments: To be assigned every Monday starting on 16.9.2019 and students are requested to return them back in 2 days; latest by 10:15 AM on Wednesday in the same week (i.e, before the lecture sessions on Wednesdays) .
- 1 group project work: to work during the whole duration of the course.
- Final exam: On 21.10.2019 (Students MUST register no later than 7 days beforehand).